Data centers are experiencing the most significant change in cabling infrastructure since the introduction of fiber optic cabling. No longer is it a question of if, but when, data centers will migrate to 40/100G Ethernet.
Installing a high-performance, fiber optic structured cabling infrastructure is essential to a successful migration.
There are five steps you can take to prepare for this drastic change:
- Determine your current and future data center needs, including throughput demand, data production rates and business-driven objectives. In what ways does your current data center infrastructure support and/or fail those needs?
- Use this information to determine when your data center should migrate to 40/100G Ethernet.
- Map out your current data center infrastructure.
- Use this map to create a plan for the hardware and cabling infrastructure upgrades necessary for migration.
- Create a plan for migration, including internal communication strategy, budget, timeline and roles and responsibilities of those involved.
The timeline for migration is different for every data center, depending on technological needs, budget, size and organizational priority.
However, educating yourself on 40/100G Ethernet, evaluating your current cabling infrastructure and beginning plans for implementation will ensure a smooth, trouble-free migration.